Ten of Cups’
Ideas: Big dream, fading joy, impermanence
Traits: Anticipative, contemplative, discontented, dreamy, imaginative, purposeful, reflective
Emotions: Disappointment, eagerness, homesickness, hope, loneliness, longing, unhappiness
- Cultivating contentment in your life
- Dreaming big
- Finding your bliss
- Leaving a place where joy is fading
- Planning your perfect life
- Seeking a heaven on earth
Ideas: Dream life, fulfillment, vacation
Traits: Agreeable, appreciative, calm, ebullient, familial, felicific, lyrical, peaceful, warm
Emotions: Amazement, bliss, contentment, enjoyment, joy, pleasure, relief, satisfaction
- Appreciating and embracing the wonderfulness of life
- Being deeply thankful for all you’ve been given
- Enjoying the moment while it lasts
- Living your dream life
- Recognizing the gifts the Universe brings your way
- Surrounding yourself with close ones
- Taking a pleasant vacation with family members
Ideas: Overwhelming emotions, utopianism, wishful thinking
Traits: Fanciful, greedy, idealistic, impractical, intense, irrational, unrealistic
Emotions: Desire, envy, jealousy, sentimentality, tenseness
- Comparing your achievements or relationships to unrealistic fantasy standards
- Envying the achievements and happiness of others
- Experiencing emotions so intense they blunt your ability to cope with reality
- Feeling overwhelmed by emotions
- Lingering in a situation that once brought you great happiness
- Wishing good things last forever
Ten of Cups’
Gratitude enhances success. While celebrating your achievements, remember to give credit to those who helped you achieve it. Overwhelm others with sincere recognition, and you’ll find yourself surrounded by an army of eager supporters.
Having it all may be a matter of perspective. Rather than pursue a fantasy romance, decide what you really want and need. Your relationship doesn’t require anyone else’s stamp of approval. Do what delights you, and be grateful for what you have.
Fulfilling work is rare indeed. Be careful how you define success; don’t get so caught up in reaching the next goal that you forget to celebrate your achievements so far. Feeling overwhelmed? Take time out to count your blessings and realign your work with what matters most.
While we may glimpse nirvana in meditation, maintaining a constant state of bliss may prove to be an unrealistic goal. Delight in the small steps you take along the Path. Don’t be overly concerned with spiritual arrival; enjoy the journey.
Ten of Cups’
The Happy Family
Most Rider–Waite–Smith-inspired decks depict a joyful couple with dancing children. How do you define family? What makes a group of people a family? How might family play a role in your current situation?
Rider–Waite–Smith-inspired decks often place a rainbow at the top of this card. Since Biblical times, rainbows have been symbols of promise. In your situation, what’s been promised? Who has a promise to keep? What will it take to fulfill that promise?
Overabundance of Emotion
Some readers believe tens represent the point at which fullness has been exceeded, and the energy of the suit becomes spoiled and over-extended. Sometimes, emotions spill over, leaving everyone feeling ragged and raw. Might it be time to curb excessive emotions?
The Marseilles Image
Just when you thought a card could contain no more Cups … bam! A huge Cup appears, obliterating the struggling blossoms last seen on the nine. In your own situation, what are the signs that, emotionally, things have gone too far?
- Marriage and family are in the cards.
- Expect a friendship to blossom into a romance.
- Between March 11 and March 20
- “I take time to appreciate what I have been given.”
- Numerology Number
(the end: finality, completion, exhaustion)
- Classical Element
- Astrological Planet in Sign
- Mars in Pisces
- Story Character
- The main character finds himself or herself in a relationship more fulfilling or intense than expected.
- Questions to Ask
- Who gets to define what “joy” consists of?
- What course of action is available when you feel overwhelmed?
- How might vows or promises play a role in achieving a greater level of joy in your life?