Six of Cups’ Upright & Reversed Meanings
Ideas: Growth, quest, self-gifting
Traits: Adventurous, busy, curious, mature, messy, responsible, serious
Emotions: Eagerness, hope, nervousness, optimism, uneasiness
- Gaining insight from childhood memories
- Giving yourself presents
- Leaving your comfort zone
- Looking forward to the future
- Seeing how much you have grown
- Taking a more serious approach
Ideas: Good deed, nostalgia, simplification
Traits: Appreciative, considerate, friendly, generous, kind, naive, pure, secure, simple, youthful
Emotions: Caring, contentment, enjoyment, fondness, pleasure, sentimentality, tenderness
- Being nostalgic and recalling the past
- Gifting others even when you know repayment is not possible
- Giving your time and talents to others
- Living a simple life at a safe place
- Motivating yourself to do a good deed
- Recreating the good feelings
- Showing your love with small gestures
- Taking satisfaction in knowing how your efforts will aid others
Ideas: Neediness, overprotection, pamperedness
Traits: Childish, complaintive, demanding, dependent, difficult, discontented, indulgent
Emotions: Annoyance, desire, frustration, grouchiness, grumpiness, irritation, longing, pity, pride, sympathy
- Bragging about your generous efforts
- Linking your sense of self-worth to the appraisals of others
- Receiving undeserved or unmerited gifts
- Spoiling someone rotten
- Striving to appear more needy than you really are
- Thinking that the past is better than the present
- Throwing a tantrum
Six of Cups’ Advice
When you can give something without expecting anything in return, you’ve reached an important milestone. Accelerate your quest for maturity; practice giving with no thought of what’s in it for you.
We like to say relationships involve give and take; this card invites you to focus on giving more than receiving. Watch for opportunities to take on chores that neither you nor your friends (or partners) enjoy. Surprise a loved one with an unexpected, unmerited gift.
Most people focus on profit; what might happen if you focused on giving instead? A gift given with strings attached deserves a skeptical response. When charitable gestures are revealed (or perceived) as bribes, don’t expect good results.
Few things energize the weary spirit like service. Volunteer. Lend a helping hand to someone in need. Give of your time, your money, and your talents—all three. In helping others, you help yourself.
Six of Cups’ Symbols & Insights
On many versions of this card, one figure passes a bouquet to another. Was money involved, or was this a free gift? How might expectations of payment (or repayment) be shaping your own situation?
Flowers in Cups
Many versions of this card depict chalices overflowing with blossoms: a reminder of the inexhaustible bounty available from the Universe. How can you escape a “poverty mentality?”
What attitudes and emotions would motivate such an action? How might these attitudes and emotions play a role in solving your dilemma? What dictates the value of a gift?
The Marseilles Image
The cramped configuration of the Five has given way to the orderly balance of the Six. When emotions and spirituality are properly aligned, they become a channel for healthy growth.
More About Six of Cups Tarot Card
- A stingy spirit is strangling your enjoyment of life.
- Loosen up and think of others for once, why don’t you?
- Between November 2 and November 11
- “I freely give myself to others, expecting nothing in return.”
- Numerology Number
(the adjustment: cooperation, collaboration, interaction)
- Classical Element
- Astrological Planet in Sign
- Sun in Scorpio
- Defying conventional wisdom, the main character lends his or her support to a hopeless cause.
- Questions to Ask
- What gifts do I possess? How freely do I give them?
- How can I practice unconditional giving?
- How would things change if I became a more charitable person?
- Related Pages
- Tarot Card Meanings Guide
- Exploring Today’s Tarot
- Consulting the Tarot
- Traditional Tarot Card Meanings
- Thirteen Fun Things to Do with Tarot Cards
- Where to Go to Learn More